Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Odd Ramblings


I have Not finished reading this book yet, but about half-way through, I can say it is an excellent read. I read 90 pages in one sitting. Form me to keep my attention that long is unheard of.
Gaiman mixes creepy and humor better than anyone I've read, with compelling characters and hilarious dialogue. Pick up this book! I also suggest Neverwhere and American Gods by the same author. Very good books.
Nebraska faces Auburn in the Cotton Bowl. I look forward to this game. Auburn has a good program, and their name doesn't start with "Notre" and end with "Dame". I had a 6 or 7 page dissertation of the Big 12 championship game ready to go, and I apparently closed the window on accident and didn't save any work. That was a fun, profanity-laden moment. In a nutshell, I was disappointed in the outcome, and am hoping the time off will be useful for the team. Everyone and their mom seems to be picking Auburn, with a few exceptions. I haven't watched Auburn play, so I reserve any predictions for those who think they are experts.
Travelling for the holidays? Me, too. Hope everyone enjoys their holiday season!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had mice this year. I don't know why because we
never had a problem before this year. The cats would
kill a few now and then. Tina put out poison but it
was the "cat safe" poison and it didn't seem to net
any carcasses. Over a month ago I was fed up and
bought some glue traps. These are widely considered to
be cruel and for good reason. The little guy trods
along the floor board or counter top and if he happens
upon the glue trap he is stuck for good. These yielded
no booty until a few weeks ago. I didn't find the
first one so I don't know the details of his disposal.
A few minutes ago I heard a helpless little squeak
coming from behind the microwave oven. When I
looked...sure enough we had snared a rodent, stuck and
frantically wiggling in a vain attempt to free
himself.

Now the conundrum...how do I dispose of the varmint? I
can't just throw him away and let him suffer.

So I hit him with a hammer. Now I'm eating a salted
nut roll and it tastes weird. I think this proves that
killing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I must be some
sort of bleeding heart liberal.

Yours,
Buddy

Steve said...

Buddy,

You should have flushed him...alive. Think of the example that sets for any potential witnesses peeking around the corner. Yet, hitting one with a hammer sends a pretty strong message, as well. Me? I'd have turned the sound up on the TV, or left whatever wing of your ginormous house you were in until it squeaked no more.

Liberal mouse killer.

Anonymous said...

Shoot guys, that's nothing. I remember growing up in the trailer when my mom and dad set out the same kind of traps. Only our mice were much more desperate to get out of the jam they found themselves in. I still recall opening the pantry to get a box of cereal to find a sticky mouse trap in my face, with mice feet on it, but no mouse. Yes, the mouse had chewed off his own feet to get out of the trap. And then Dad covered my eyes and carried me out of the room. Hey, that won't scar a little 5 year old girl for life. No, really.