Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Network TV Sucks

I'm taking time out of my schedule today to discuss network TV with you. Feel lucky, my friends, as I was very busy planning to launch a nuke of my own.

IN THE TOILET.

Har.

Whatever. Anyways, why does network TV suck so bad? Cable, as a whole, has been able to carve out a niche for itself in lots of different ways. What has network TV carved?

1.) CSI series representing the 328 most populous cities in America. CSI: Flint is particularly gritty, but come on people.
2.) Outdated network news format. Katie Couric, yay! Really, who cares? I can get news at any moment off of CNN or Foxnews and get a healthy dose of biased news from both sides of the aisle.
3.) Reality shows. I've travelled down this road before. They aren't "real", and they are an absolute abomination. Survivor? It has to resort to racism for ratings. Big Brother? The chick factor is the only redeeming factor. The Amazing Race...is it still on? If I want reality television, I will turn it off and stare at it.
4.) Medical dramas. House? "Hi, I yell at patients violently, and am an emotional loose cannon". I know I like all my medical professionals to be teetering on the verge of wiping out an entire shopping mall with a chain gun. ER? John Stamos. Really?
5.) Jay Leno. "Nuff said.

What IS good about network TV?

1.) Heroes. An original drama, with a non-cheesy take on people with "powers". Like a great (cable) show, Battlestar Galactica, Heroes is in a genre that is historically dorky, and making it extremely watchable to fans of said genre, as well as the mainstream. Nicely done. I wonder how long it takes for some network suit to come in and push ideas that his 15 year old LSD-induced son brings to him.
2.) The Office. I know, there's a BBC version. I've never seen it, and will not judge it until I have. I have, however, seen every episode of the American version on NBC. It's easily the funniest show on right now. It's laugh out loud funny, and that is rare when you can't turn the channel without catching CSI: Modesto. The casting is perfect, and I am hoping it stays on TV for years to come.
3.) Lost. I've never seen it. I defer to my friends and wife on this one. We own season one and my friend Ryan owns season two, so I may need to catch up.
4.) Letterman and Conan. Again, 'nuff said.

What is "okay" but could be better?

Sports coverage. It is shoddy, at best, and with commercial breaks every 18 seconds, it really makes me love my DVR. Next blog: why cable is better! Be on the lookout for this in the next 10-12 weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, me and the droid have been watching Heroes too!

For a guy who tries hard to NOT get into a TV series... It's pretty dang good!

!

Anonymous said...

I started watching "How I met your Mother" last season and I love it. In my book "Scrubs" competes for the best show on TV. "Studio 60" is three shows in and I really like it.

I don't watch the so called reality shows. Never seen an episode.

I love "Cops". Now that is a reality show. Also "Americas Most Wanted". "48 Hours Mystery" is pretty good sometimes and "Dateline NBC" does this thing on child pedator stings that is so wonderful. This is a powerful public service as well as damn good television. The chances of seeing a grown man cry on this show are very high indeed.

I agree "The Office" is great.

That's it for me.

Yours,
Buddy

Steve said...

TeZ, Heroes is a good show! You should unplug a little bit and at least watch The Office. It is funnier than hell.

Mr. Cole,

I spaced How I met Your Mother. That show is funny. I like watching the Police chase show...can't remember the name, but it stars the former cop turned grey-haired host. That one is good. And Cops IS the ultimate reality show. It's also good motivation to wear shirts.

Anonymous said...

Seven weeks into the Husker season, and you and your brother are beseiged with constant chatter about the Husker team, NOT! Ha ha, you guys are truly pathetic losers.

Steve said...

Husker1911, no death threats for my family today? I'm disappointed. In regards to the Huskers, what the hell is there to talk about that isn't already being said? Dave, I expect better from you.