Thursday, November 09, 2006

Buddy Cole: Patriot

Thanks for stopping by, let me finish up over here.

Ok, I'm all done. So Buddy Cole responded to my disgust-filled diatribe about the elections. The response had some very interesting points, so let's engage in a little call and response. Buddy's comments are in bold.

I agree with you on the negative ads. They are almost as annoying as fundraising time on NPR.

Or worse, the whispering they do on NPR. Can you imagine how lame a company party is at the studios there. "All Things Considered" my a$$.

I think a Democratic congress is a very good thing for us right now. This is an embattled president with six years of no oversight and it is time for some accountability.

Agreed about the accountability. However, a Congress led by either party will still engage in partisan politics.

I also believe that you have to take a little closer look at many of the democratic winners. The vast majority of change is coming from a conservative democratic base closer to the middle showing that perhaps we are not as divided as many in the media and the extremists would have us believe. I think the base of both parties wants a more central approach to governing while being allowed to differ on key ideals.

What the base of both parties want, and what the senior leadership in Washington deliver are two different things. You get career whack-jobs like Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, and Howard "The Scream" Dean forcing their influence on the more moderate elected Reps/Senators, it won't take long for a few things to happen:

1.) The newly elected Democrats will fall in line with the old guard of insane partisan hacks.
2.) They will be one-term and out, because of their frustration in not being able to exact any real change.
3.) We will be able to thaw out Walt Disney!

I personally hope for number 3.

But I must say that on the whole we are not a divided nation. You can't take one part of our dynamic, such as politics, and come to the overwhelming all encompassing conclusion that this represents the true essence of America. State hundreds of conflicts within this country and without fail you will see at the core of every fight is our right to free speech. Show me division and I will show you the foundation of freedom upon which division proudly stands.

I agree with you. Allow me to clarify my stance: our politicians are most certainly divided, our press is certainly divided, and the biggest problem that presents is the influence it has on the people who are easily swayed. Politicians and "journalists" both are so far entrenched in their own agenda to realize that the division you speak of actually has hurt our country, and opens us up as a laughing stock to the international community.

So don't be disheartened because we are fighting. Rather, be emboldened that we care enough to fight because when we fight we so often get it right.

Is this a Springsteen lyric or something? Bonus points for using the word "emboldened". I feel like I need to donate money to a cause now. :)

Don't be distracted by the small minded extremists who prostitute their rights as a means of self promotion. Rather, look to the higher calling that speaks to the balanced soul.

This is more like a Neil Young lyric.

Don't be convinced by the talking heads on your television. Rather, be inspired by the daily affirmations we witness in the hearts of our family, our friends, and our neighbors.

Cheeseball as it sounds, I love the last sentence there. The only problem with that, is most people do not do this, they are too busy buying into the division our politicians and media create.

America is not found in the headlines. America is found in the faces of the people and those people live and love and fight and win and lose together.

God Bless America.

Buddy Cole for President!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that these things are happening in Washington and the media thing and the rest. I agree there is division and subsequent damage. My post was not a response to your words. My post was a response to your perspective. There is another way to look at our world, a view much closer to home.

I always hear of the division in our country but what I see in my community are people living and working toward a common goal. Differing politics. Independent ideals. But a common goal. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If I were to live my life defining existence by what I see on TV I would believe that we all hate each other...but we don't.

I believe that we must never forget to remind each other of the precious opportunity and the profound responsibility we hold in our hands for it is when we rise above our differences to embrace the passions we share that our debate takes root in the spirit of progress. But we don’t live in a debate where one side is right and one side is wrong. We live life where both descriptions are correct and we must choose how to approach the world in which we live.

I choose to approach this world with hope. You may call me naïve, but in my defense I do not deny the problems. I simply refuse to bow to them.

Yours,
Buddy

Steve said...

Are you trying to make it so I have nothing to say? Well, you win. Awesome response.

The spirit of hope is easy to lose sight of sometimes, and cynical thinking is much more easy to do. Well done.

Jerk.