Thursday, October 20, 2005

More Dress Code Drama...

Well, some NBA players are throwing a hissy fit over the dress code.

The Pacers' guard, Stephen Jackson, said he thinks the NBA is afraid the league will be too "hip-hop". To the esteemed Mr. Jackson I say this: you aren't in the hip-hop industry, you are a basketball player. You can dress like that on your off time. I have a full time job, and can't wear a Nebraska Cornhusker t-shirt every day, because it's against dress code.

"But boss, it's who I am, it's part of my culture to wear clothes that supposedly define me!"

You're fired. Shut up.

Paul Pierce of the Celtics says "When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture. The NBA is young black males.'' Your culture is not your clothes. And if it is, I'd start looking into a culture a little less focused on absolute retardation. I went into a Kentucky Fried Chicken, and every single employee was hispanic. However, I didn't see enchiladas, salsa, and burritos on the menu. In fact, none of them wore sombreros, either.

Allen Iverson of the 76'ers shows the most narrow view, "I feel like if they want us to dress a certain way, they should pay for our clothes,'' he said. "It's just tough, man, knowing that all of a sudden you have to have a dress code out of nowhere. I don't think that's still going to help the image of the league at all.''

Dude, the league HAS a bad image, and it's time to clean it up. Basketball is an awesome sport, and it pays you very well. And pay for your clothes? If I were an owner, and thank God for the players I am not, anyone refusing to follow the dress code will convert their salary for that season to the league minimum, and THEN I would buy their clothes for work. "They should pay for our clothes" indeed.

The NBA has gone downhill in almost every way. The attitudes above are a reason why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THey are just a bunch of cry baby thugs making millions!