Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Nebraska Slasher!

During Nebraska's loss to the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday, Husker coach Bill Callahan made a gesture that is causing a lot of heat in Huskerland.

According to some, he is making the old "throat slit" gesture to an official.

I have to pause for a moment while I try to figure out what the hell is wrong with our fans.

Ok, I am back. We'll get to the rabid kool-aid drinkers and the constant critics in a second.

"I'm sure that the damage is already done out there, but I think it's blown out of proportion," Callahan said. "I don't know where we get all these gang symbols and all. This is gesture-gate or something. I don't know where it's coming from. I got emotional and I didn't like what I saw."

He continues...

"I talked to the supervisor of the officials last night. In that conversation he said, 'Bill, we don't even know what you're talking about. There was no flag. There was no report,'" Callahan said. "I was frustrated. I was emotional. I made a gesture. I'm going to fight for our team. I'm going to fight for our players. I'm 49 years old. I'm not going to use a gesture. I think this is way blown out of proportion."

That's enough for me when the supervisor of the officials is basically saying "Yeah whatever" to Callahan. Let's forget that Callahan is pulling out some bizarre coach speak by saying "I made a gesture" and following it up with "I'm not going to use a gesture".

Can we focus more on supporting the team when they need it? How about by focusing more on little things like "scoring", and "winning", and "showing up in the first half". You know, little tiny things like that.

As far as the gesture goes, this is SPORTS, people. How many times do coaches and players use signals? Here and there, I think. As far as the threat of killing a man by slitting his throat, that same symbol is also used for stop what you're doing, no, and possibly in this case, no touchdown because of the hold, you retarded blind official.

For those saying it is not a throat slash, shut up. For those saying it is and he meant it in a way that was indicative of Jason Voorhees type bodily harm, then please join the shut up group and stand in the corner.

It is amusing watching the kool-aid club act the way they do over this issue. Callahan and/or Pederson could walk out to the 50 yard line, and take a crap in the face of a wheelchair-bound vegetable, and they'd praise it as if Christ himself had come down from the heavens and denounced the option play.

The anti-Callahan crowd is using this as another reason to pile on criticism, even though, as far as the actual act, there is no need for a critique. His post "death threat" comments could use some polishing, but the whole thing is stupid to begin with.

Let's focus on the team, and stop this incessant need to try and find drama around every corner. Our offensive line is giving us enough drama.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your thought process eliminates the ability for people to act like asses to each other, though. Duh.

Anonymous said...

I agree there is way too much focus on the throat slash and not enough focus on the continued blown calls that the line judge keeps making. This is the same offical that called the simultaneous recovery in the baylor game that gave Baylor a touchdown that put them within 3 pts of tying the game in the 3rd quarter. Not to mention that the Huskers opponents have only been called for 1 holding call all year, yet lead the nation in total sacks. So again maybe he made a throat slash gesture, next time I hope he just chokes the Ref out. Cause if Callahan doesn't then I'm going to.

Steve said...

Mr. Selmer, you are wise beyond your years.